Saturday, February 10, 2007

Just Visiting

On our trip to the mainland a few weeks ago, we actually met up with an old friend of my sister's who she went to college with. It was just by chance that we stopped to get gas for our ride back home in a small gas station in Belmopan, that we saw him. Both my sister and her old schoolmate, Andrew Metcalfe, were amazed how they bumped into each other in such an odd place and situation.

After talking with Andrew for a while, our family invited him out to stay at our house on Ambergris Caye. He was excited for the chance to get away from the small village where he does some missions work with the children, and go on a weekend full of fun and relaxation.

Yesterday, Andrew arrived at our house in the afternoon. We got him aquainted with our town of San Pedro and took him out to dinner. Today we woke up at about seven, took some pictures of the sunrise (above), and went for a day on the boat. Driving down south a ways to Hol Chan marine reserve gave Andrew the chance to see some of the biggest and most "friendly" fish in the sea. Local guides have taught the fish to come up to snorkelers and be completely unafraid, looking for some food.

After going out to lunch on Caye Caulker, wen headed over to my favorite spearfishing spot, Coral Gardens. After being in the water for about an hour and a half, I had shot four good sized hogfish and a very good sized grouper. Andrew was just learning to spearfish and this was his first time. It felt good being able to teach him some things and show him how it's done. The most fulfilling part came when he shot his first fish. I really appreciated what I have learned over the years since I began spearfishing when I was six, and enjoyed showing my knowledge with Andrew.

1 comment:

Libby said...

eww, there's something in my teeth in that pic!!